The Pocahontas – Roanoke, Virginia to Walton (Radford), Virginia
May 27, 28 & 29, 2017
- Standard Coach: $119, includes a complimentary snack
- Deluxe Coach: $149, includes a complimentary snack
- Parlor Class: $189, includes complimentary hors d’oeuvres, soft drinks, and coffee
- Dome Class: $259, includes complimentary hors d’oeuvres, soft drinks, and coffee
- Chairman’s Class: $399, the ultimate in luxury and service. Attendants will prepare and serve hot meals, hors d’oeuvres, and soft drinks while you relax in this exclusive section of the train.
1:00 PM Boarding in Roanoke
2:00 PM Depart Roanoke
3:40 PM Arrive Walton
4:00 PM Depart Walton
6:00 PM Arrive Roanoke
Ride from Roanoke to Walton on this 84-mile afternoon roundtrip. We leave westbound, and on the left immediately see the Virginia Museum of Transportation—Virginia’s official transportation museum. Pass through the 58-track Roanoke yard of Norfolk Southern, and, on the left, reach the large engine terminal known as Shaffer’s Crossing. We then pass the Norfolk Southern material yard on the left, and Steel Dynamics on the right—America’s finest continuous pour steel mill ever built. We go through the City of Salem paralleling the former Virginian Railway which was built to carry the coal from West Virginia. After passing Elliston, Virginia and going under the Virginian Railway bridge, begin your ascent of the famed Christiansburg grade. Pass through Shawsville on our curving line to the crest at Cambria (now known as Christiansburg). As we climb the Appalachian Mountains to an elevation of 2,050 feet, take in the picturesque view along the South Fork of the Roanoke River.
Our journey will also take us through the twin-bore Montgomery Tunnel which has a raised roof to allow double-stack container trains to pass through. After reaching the summit of the Appalachians at Christiansburg, our route will follow Crab Creek down to the New River. See remnants of the original grade constructed by the Virginia & Tennessee Railroad prior to the Civil War. You will see the New River while the train backs through the junction at Walton for the return trip.
- Boarding Location: boarding will take place adjacent to the former N&W Passenger Station, now home to the O. Winston Link Museum and the Roanoke Valley Convention and Visitors Bureau, located at 101 Shenandoah Avenue NE, Roanoke, VA, 24016. Plan to arrive at least 1 hour prior to departure.
- No layover on this trip. No diesel assist anticipated.
- Complimentary snack and bottled water provided; commissary car available, and you may bring a small personal cooler.
- Nearby hotels, restaurants and attractions in Roanoke: Visit Virginia’s Blue Ridge
- Parking: Limited parking available at the O. Winston Link Museum. Nearby Downtown Roanoke parking garages are the Gainsboro and Wells Fargo parking garages. Handicapped passengers may be dropped off on the driveway leading to the trains on the west side of the O. Winston Link Museum. Additional instructions regarding parking will be sent with your boarding instructions and other trip details 72 hours prior to the event.
- Getting Here:
By car: conveniently located in Downtown Roanoke just minutes from Interstate 81 on I-581/220 South.
By passenger rail: The nearest passenger rail stations are in Clifton Forge, VA, and Lynchburg, VA with service on the Smartway Bus Connector between Roanoke and the Lynchburg Amtrak station.
By air: The Roanoke Blacksburg Regional Airport offers approximately 50 scheduled airline flights arriving and departing daily, providing nonstop service to nine major cities.